The Convent and Castle of Calatrava La Nueva is located in the village of Aldea del Rey, region of Castile-La Mancha, Spain.
When the Order of the Cistercians took possession of the Calatrava la Vieja castle (in Carrión de Calatrava), they did not only assume the defense of this territory against the Arabs but also founded the Order of Calatrava in 1158. After having conquered the castle of Salvatierra, the Military Order of Calatrava decided to build a new castle on the opposite hill.
Some theories suggest that the Calatrava la Nueva castle-convent was built upon a former castle of Dueñas, which, according to 13th century royal sources, was donated when the Christians had lost this territory after the battle of Alarcos in 1195. The Calatrava order took Salvatierra in 1198, so it is actually quite possible that some work was undertaken in that other castle. But Salvatierra fell back into Muslim hands around 1210.
After the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa in 1212, the castle was again reconquered. The construction works were intensified and finally, in 1217, the Order moved definitely from Calatrava la Vieja to the new castle-convent, remaining there until the 18th century. Throughout the centuries, this fortress-castle was subjected to various alterations and additions. The most important changes were made during the kingdom of the Catholic Monarchs, when the castle was prepared for the passage of the carriages of Philip II, who spent there a few days.
Both the castle and the sacred convent are perfectly conserved.